Mille feuille or ‘thousand leafs’ is a well known French dessert, made with many layers of puff pastry, vanilla cream and strawberries or raspberries. It was on my mind for some time and now I finally got my act together and made a slightly altered version of this timeless dessert. Original version sadly isn’t vegan, but that’s why this one is. And it tastes GREAT! I tried to make this recipe the healthiest and oil free, but puff pastry cannot be found without it. This yummy dessert is therefore one for special occasions, even though I had it 4 times already in the past week.. OOPS 😉
Makes 6 slightly bigger pieces
2x packaged puff pastry
white sugar to sprinkle
2 tsp powdered agar agar
60g coconut sugar
45g corn starch
3 Tbsp vanillla extract
500ml almond milk (or any other plant milk you like)
120ml coconut whipping cream
1tsp corn starch
4 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp coconut whipping cream
juice of half a lemon
cardamom and cinnamon
- Roll out the pastry on a baking tray and pierce it with a fork. Sprinkle white sugar on top and bake until lightly brown or as instructed on the package. Repeat this procedure with the second package. When baked cut the sides and divide each pastry in 9 parts. In the end you should have 18 rectangles.
- Let agar agar soak in 50ml of warm almond milk for about 10 minutes. In a separate bowl combine coconut sugar, corn starch, vanilla extract and 50ml of almond milk. Combine the rest 400ml of milk with soaked agar agar and bring to boil. Once boiling add other ingredients and stir until thick. Put in a plastic container and cover with plastic wrap. It needs to touch the surface, so that the crust won’t form. Refrigerate or let it cool.
- Peel the apples and chop them into cubes. In a heated pan combine the rest of ingredients and add the apples. Add the spices and cook until soft or until the liquid disappears. Careful not to crush the apples while stirring. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Whip the coconut cream with corn starch. Stir the cooled caramel cream, until there is no lumps and slowly fold in the coconut cream. When done, transfer cream into a large pipping bag.
- Choose 6 pieces of puff pastry and put them on the side, those will be on the top. Cover the rest with caramel cream, while being careful not to pipe too much on. Top with apples and assemble the cakes.
- Serve cold.